[icecast] Ices2 / Icecast2 / Long connect and no sound

Karl Heyes k.heyes at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue May 27 19:51:48 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 19:24, adam leigh wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> I'm trying to run two seperate live audio streams on my Redhat 8 box.  I've got
> two sound devices that linux (begrudgingly) acknoledges.  I can get Ices2 to
> run off of the onboard sound solution but there seems to be alot of
> interference, however, when I try to use the PCI-card (a C-Media chipset) it
> takes a lot time to connect from a remote client and there is no sound coming
> through at all.
>
> I've checked all mixer settings thoroughly as well as making sure the input
> audio is being processed by the card but it simply does not broadcast it over
> the net.

Check what is reported in the ices log file, see if the requested
settings are being accepted. Some devices only accept certain rates like
48000 for instance.

Can you describe the interference, are the levels too high for instance,
are unused inputs muted ?

Can you do some straight recording with rec/sox without interference.

> Can anyone give me suggestions as to the nature of this problem?  I'm using OSS
> drivers because ALSA gave me migranes trying to install and in the end I could
> not get them to work.

The alsa drivers aren't too bad, there are some extra lines from the
modules.conf for automatic loading.  The alsa site does describe them
though, http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/

karl.