[icecast] listening to ogg with a Mac

Arc arc at indymedia.org
Wed May 21 18:49:23 UTC 2003

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 12:37:10PM -0600, Jack Moffitt wrote:
> > I believe that you can get plugins for iTunes (OSX) that allow you to play ogg
> > files. Be aware that this does not mean they will play ogg vorbis streams.
>
> They don't work very well.  They only play _certain_ files.  I couldn't
> get them to work hardly at all, although I know I've gotten them to work
> in the past.  YMMV.

I've found it to depend on the machine.  Some macs only play ogg files,
not streams, others play everything fine, others don't work at all.
Also, especially after system updates, the plugins sometimes start to
work or stop working.. I don't know if it has anything to do with the
quicktime version or anything else in the system..

I think a good policy on these plugins is to not recommend them, if
people want to use them and get them to work that's great, but prehaps
something like macamp or mint audio would be better to recommend.

We really should compile a list of players which work properly with
icecast, prehaps start an "icecast certification" process? :-)  Ie, it
has to play Ogg, has to handle chained bitstreams properly (change
metadata, not go haywire when the number of channels or samplerate
changes, etc), and prehaps throw some other stuff in there such as it
has to properly handle non-vorbis codecs or something (ie, ignore them,
give a message that it lacks support, etc).