[icecast] Admin issues the Xth..

Karl Heyes karl at pts.tele2.co.uk
Fri May 2 21:10:06 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 21:34, Benjamin Podszun wrote:

> I just switched from icecast1 to icecast2. Right now I'm not sure if
> that was a very good idea. I do like the ogg-support, but I lack a good
> amount of documentation (Hey, I'd be glad to help you out, but how can
> there be consistent documentation for a software that is only available
> through cvs(-snapshots)?) and good linux source clients.

The external interfacing (xml format etc) of icecast2 and ices2 are not
likely to change significantly, unless there is a great pressing need
to.

> I used xmms-liveice or muse before, but I have serious stability
> problems with them connection to this icecast2-server.. Actually I
> didn't even manage to get a single connection, so I'm not even sure if I
> have a single streaming client to connect to the server. I could use
> ices2 eventually, but it has the same problems as icecast2
> (documentation,cvs-only) and iirc it allows only playlist streaming(?).

ices2 is able to read from dsp (see OSS input).  I haven't looked into
xmms-liveice yet.

> password dialog and I don't know the user/pass. I read the icecast
> source and found something like admin_user and admin_password, but
> everything I tried to make it work was in vain.. admin_password,
> admin-password, every spelling I could think of.. Any hints on that?

you can state the admin username/password in the icecast2 config file.

> What about doing regular releases? Open source philosophy is: Release
> fast, relases often. But it would be great if you could provide us with
> a "real" release on which we can build both our confidence and perhaps
> contributed documentation.

wrt ices2 I very much doubt anything user-oriented will be changing, the
main bits are in place but some internals need to be worked on, to
handle certain error cases.

karl.