[icecast] icecast2 password bug?

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Wed Mar 19 05:43:56 UTC 2003

there is quite a bit of confusion regarding this bit....

as of a few weeks ago, new funtionality was added to icecast2 to support
mountpoint-level authentication.  This means that you can now configure
icecast2 to have a different encoder username and password for each
mountpoint that you specify in your config file.  These options are
optional however, most people probably don't need any mountpoint-level
authentication, just server-level authentication.

erver-level source configuration is set using the following :

     <authentication>
         <!-- Sources log in with username 'source' -->
         <source-password>hackme</source-password>
     </authentication>

o, try removing your <mount> section(s) of your xml config and put the
password you define as "source-password" in oddcast.  Also, make sure you
have selected icecast2 as a server type in oddcast.

it's also worth noting, that the source login protocol with icecast2 has
gone over some major overhauls, and I've kept up to date with these
changes, but you need to make sure you are running the latest version of
each of the plugins (whichever one you use)....The lastest oddcast winamp2
plugin works with the latest icecast2 win32 binary on my site.  Similarly,
the latest oddcast v2 (next gen oddcast) winamp3, foobar2000, and xmms
plugin also work with the latest icecast2 win32 binary.

also, none of the oddcast plugins currently support sending a source
username other than "source", so if you want to use a mount-level source
user/password, make sure you specify "source" as the user, otherwise it
won't connect.

oddsock