[icecast] strange noise from icecast

Remco B. Brink remco at rc6.org
Fri Mar 7 11:14:27 UTC 2003

<quote who="Mitja Pirih">

> Hello,
>
> I'm using icecast for at least 3 months now and I am experiencing a
> strange noise and also some echo effect (from time to time) and I
> can't identify the source of this noise.

[snip]

> I am using Winamp 2.81 for input, MuchFX2 and 4 oddcastDSP plugins to
> stream (lame encoder) on Windows 2000. The streaming server is an
> icecast 1.3.12 on OpenBSD 3.2.

Are you streaming files or line-in?

Yesterday I experienced something that sounds quite a lot like what you
are experiencing now.

I was streaming from line-in and noticed I had forgotten to mute
the line-in playback. The line-in playback got outputted to the mixer
again, which in turn went straight back into line-in causing a
nifty loop with a nasty "tin can"-effect and echo.

Make sure you've muted everything you don't need on your
streamsource machine and use the latest stable versions of Lame and
oddacstDSP.

HTH.

-rbb

--
   Remco B. Brink -- Information Systems Developer, Opera Software ASA
   Personal site at http://rc6.org - PGP key at http://rc6.org/rbb.pgp