[icecast] Using icecast2 with MP3 problems

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Mon Mar 3 05:36:21 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, Martin Blackwell wrote:

> Its my understanding that with any Icecast 2 source, you don't have to
> re-rip  to get them to ogg, just tell your source to send vorbis instead of
> mp3. At least thats how it works with Oddcast anyway.

AFAIK, there are no unix streamers that will read in MP3 files and spit out
a vorbis stream to an icecast2 server.  Ices 0.x will go the other way for
sending MP3 streams.  When I first asked about this ages ago, Mike said
he'd be happy to see this functionality added, but that he wasn't
interested in writing it himself ... but that was prior to the decoder
patents so who knows now.

Geoff.