[icecast] skipping at change of song

Arc arc at indymedia.org
Wed Jun 25 21:53:47 UTC 2003

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 09:49:15AM +1200, Ross Levis wrote:
> I think this may be an oddcast issue but I'm not sure.
> I've been streaming for a few days now and I've noticed when listening to the stream that at the change of every song the stream skips ahead slightly.  It appears to occur when the metadata for the song title etc is being sent.  For me this is a few seconds before the actual change of track since I'm using the SQRSoft crossfader where a new song is loaded well before the audio changes.
>
> Is this normal?  Perhaps it is due to the occasional buffer underrun I get now & then and the stream wants to catch up?

You're likely using XMMS, or a player with the same bug.  It does this
skipping, especially with Ogg streams, and especially does so when the
track channels/samplerate changes (actually cuts off a fraction of a
second from the previous song).

Try listening to it with ogg123 if it's Ogg, if it's MP3 its likely a
similar bug.  Not saying it can't be oddcast, but because songs are
buffered in the player I highly doubt it.