[icecast] Question

Stefan Neufeind stefan at neufeind.net
Fri Jun 20 01:26:46 UTC 2003

On 19 Jun 2003 at 21:20, Arc wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 09:06:34PM -0400, Steve Lewis wrote:
> >
> > Right now I just have a link to an MP3 file and it does HTTP
> > transfers of the music to whoever clicks on it. It is sometimes very
> > slow and that's why they have offered to put in a streaming server.
> > Do I just have the plain link to the MP3 file and the server knows
> > how to stream it. Probably not. What I think happens is that you
> > give a playlist of an .m3u file. I really don't want a play list so
> > is it OK to just give one song for instance song1.m3u has the
> > information that plays song1.mp3 through the streaming server.
>
> For this you don't need Icecast at all.  Icecast is for streaming a
> radio, not for streaming individual files on-demand.

Well, on the other hand it would make sense to use a streaming server
for on-demand-streaming if you:
a) use protocols like RTSP for reliable and dynamic transfer
b) don't want to allow the user to download tracks

But since you can't achieve these points with icecast2 (up to now)
Arc is right you don't need a streaming server.
(Hmm - maybe somebody works out an RTSP-plugin for icecast2? *g*)

  Stefan