[icecast] Question

Arc arc at indymedia.org
Fri Jun 20 01:20:15 UTC 2003

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 09:06:34PM -0400, Steve Lewis wrote:

> Right now I just have a link to an MP3 file and it does HTTP transfers
> of the music to whoever clicks on it. It is sometimes very slow and
> that's why they have offered to put in a streaming server. Do I just
> have the plain link to the MP3 file and the server knows how to stream
> it. Probably not. What I think happens is that you give a playlist of an
> .m3u file. I really don't want a play list so is it OK to just give one
> song for instance song1.m3u has the information that plays song1.mp3
> through the streaming server.

For this you don't need Icecast at all.  Icecast is for streaming a
radio, not for streaming individual files on-demand.

Just put a m3u file that points to the URL of the file on the web
server.  The m3u file is sent to their media player, which will then
begin grabbing and playing the audio file.

Now beyond all this, heavy recommendation to use Ogg Vorbis instead of
MP3 to distribute music content.  It'll save on license fees, bandwidth
and hosting fees (since Ogg can be much smaller than MP3 at comperable
quality), and is accessable by just about any modern media player.  If
you choose to go with the same bitrate (thus same file sizes) as you
would with MP3 it'll also result in higher quality music at the same
bitrate, which of course means the artist's music will sound better.

It's a no-brainer :-)