[icecast] ices configuration not working

Brendan Cully brendan at xiph.org
Sat Jun 14 01:48:49 UTC 2003

On Friday, 13 June 2003 at 16:29, admin wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 12:24:42 -0400, Brendan Cully wrote
> > On Friday, 13 June 2003 at 08:21, admin wrote:
> > > Is ices2 adventageous to use (other than ogg-vorbis) since I have it
> > > installed.  I guess I am wondering if this is where most of the development
> > > focus will be placed and currently there is a phasing out of ices1
> development.
> > >
> > > I am just needing to provide a feed to my shoutcast server - does it matter if
> > > I use ices1 or ices2 here?
> >
> > If you want to stream ogg, use ices 2.
> > If you want to stream mp3, use ices 1.
> > Both are still being maintained.
> >
> > shoutcast only understands mp3, of course. You might consider trying
> > icecast 2 as your server.
>

> I want to feed mp3s to a shoutcast public server.  so I got ices1 running with
> icecast1.3.12
>
> does this appear like the propper thing to do?

If you want to stream to a shoutcast server, ices1 can do that
directly - there's no need to relay through an icecast 1 server. But
unless you want to be listed in the shoutcast directory, I don't know
why you need to talk to a shoutcast server. icecast 2 will also stream
MP3s to all the same client programs that shoutcast does.

icecast 1 is pretty much unsupported these days, so you might want to
try out icecast 2, currently in beta.