[icecast] legalities of streaming

Chris G Moguta chrisg1 at umbc.edu
Thu Jun 12 01:33:08 UTC 2003

Basically, to legally broadcast music you must:

A) Obtain permissions from the copyright holder (usually the publisher, record
label) of the *composition*.  ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC offer compulsory licenses
for all of the artists they represent, fees based upon roughly how many
listeners your station has & how many songs in your broadcast are by
artists/composers they represent.

B) Obtain permissions from the copyright holder of the particular *recording*
of the composition you want to play.  SoundExchange (a division of the RIAA)
offers a compulsory license at .07 cents per song per listener, for every song
you play.  There *was* a deal for an alternative percent of revenue royalty,
but the legislation authorizing this had a sunset clause of December 2002.

C) Switch your Internet connection to one where servers are allowed, typically
business connections.

D) Pay royalties for using MP3 technology in your stream, or WMA, AAC, etc.
Ogg Vorbis is great here, since there are no royalties to pay.

If any music you wish to play is not represented by ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and
their overseas performance right organizations (or if you don't want to go
with the compulsory licensing), then you must negotiate directly with the
publishers for rights to broadcast their music.  The publishers have every
right to blow you off & not even *consider* licensing their music to you.

RIAA/SoundExchange compulsory licensing covers even non-members (supposedly),
though RIAA-members recieve 19 times the amount of royalties directed to
non-members.  (SoundExchange admits it on their site.)

Compulsory licensing is financial death for anyone without a significant sum
of money.  Direct negotiation as an alternative is just painful, though,
especially when many will refer you BACK TO THEIR REPRESENTING ORGANIZATION
(i.e. ASCAP).