[Fwd: Re: [icecast] Newbie Problem]

Todd Brill tbrill at rackforce.com
Thu Jun 5 03:17:13 UTC 2003

Thanks, Geoff!  Trust me, you can only make things clearer than the docs at
this point.

Now, one last question:  How does a mountpoint work ? Am I pointing it to an
actual file since I've already specified the playlist ? Or is this just a
'virtual' pointer used to connect to the server ?  Should I point to the first
file in my playlist ?

How does the server know that when it receives requests to this mountpoint
that it should start streaming the audio ?

-----------------------------------
Todd Brill
mailto:tbrill at rackforce.com
Linux Network Engineer
Rackforce Hosting Inc.
http://www.rackforce.com
====================================

> Hi:
>
> Mountpoints are used to allow hosting several streams on the one server. So
> instead of only having the one stream on port 8000, for example, you can
> have as many as you can think of mountpoints for.  Mountpoints only have to
> be specified in the streamer's configuration (ices in your case), and are
> created when the streamer connects to the server.
>
> So, assuming I remember your example correctly since I've deleted it, you'd
> tune into your stream by entering http://x.x.x.x:8000/silk.ogg into your
> player, where x.x.x.x is your server's IP address.
>
> Note that I'm not sure what the expected behaviour is when no mountpoint is
> specified by the player (i.e. playing http://x.x.x.x:8000/).
>
> Hope this hasn't confused you further.
>
> Geoff.
>

> --
> Geoff Shang <gshang at uq.net.au>
> ICQ number 43634701
>
> Make sure your E-mail can be read by everyone!
> http://www.betips.net/etc/evilmail.html

> See http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

Rackforce Hosting Inc.
The New Force in Hosting