[icecast] IceCast Questions.... ("id3 tags, mp3, Ogg, etc)

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Mon Jul 21 02:17:04 UTC 2003

> > vorbis is supported in WMP by external plugins - they're not built in,
> > and not auto-downloaded.
> > There is a real plugin, it will soon (but not yet, afaik) be available
> > from the auto-download servers.
> > iTunes doesn't support it.
>
> Ouch. Is the Vorbis codec "finalized" ? I saw some talk that they keep
> improving it. If there is backwards compatibility then that is fine. Maybe
> if we request iTunes add Vorbis support Apple would implement it?

Yes, the vorbis format is definately finalised (has been for well over a year,
now). We've published the spec ourselves, but we're also persuing publication
as an RFC, etc. While the encoder will continue to be improved, existing
decoders will work without modification.

The more people that ask Apple for support the better, I suppose - go ahead
and ask them!

Mike