[icecast] icecast problem

Stefan Neufeind stefan at neufeind.net
Thu Jul 17 12:15:36 UTC 2003

On 17 Jul 2003 at 10:25, Karl Heyes wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 10:14, Daniel Seebald wrote:
> > Karl Heyes wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm guessing you haven't installed the openssl packages, you need
> > > the devel package as well if you use distribution packages.
> > >
> > > karl.
> > >

> > btw, why does icecast need openssl-devel for compilation but
> > actually no ssl encyption is used?
>
> because your icecast has a dependency on libcurl (for YP) and the
> libcurl on your system is capable of transferring over https. You
> maybe able to get away with not installing the -devel package
> depending on how the ssl lib is referenced in libcurl.

How about activating SSL-support for streaming? Would it be possible
to e.g. offer sending data (passwords, stats etc.) to the server via
SSL but still over access to the streams via http? Or how about
making a "closed user group" which log into a stream via https and
need to authenticate (is it possible via http basic auth?) to be able
to listen to the stream? Just imagining maybe a conference or such
that might be broadcasted this way to a closed usergroup.
Does anybody rate this useful? Comments please, just a thought.

We've talked about authentication on this list some while ago. And I
came to the point that maybe for billing-purpose (e.g. authenticating
a user and billing him for the time he has listened to a concert
because he needs to pay a few cents per each minute or so) this would
be nice. But do the players out there support basic http-auth? E.g.
opening a popup if authentication is required (like a browser) or at
least using urls like   http://user:pass@192.168.0.2/stream   ?
Would be quite a cool feature :-) We would need the possibility to
integrate external authentification/logging possibilities into
icecast2 but this should be possible to design. And again: In closed
user groups with auth I would rate https-streaming quite interesting
:-)))

 Stefan