[icecast] MP3/OGG/The whole thing

Brendan Cully brendan at xiph.org
Sat Jul 5 14:37:41 UTC 2003

On Saturday, 05 July 2003 at 16:14, Rolf Johansson wrote:
> Hello all Icecasters!
>
> I'm using icecast 1.3.12 and iceS 0.2.3 (with a self-made patch for VBR MP3,
> and an extensive Perl script for automatisation) to stream radio. Works great!
>
> I've tried to understand everything about MP3/OGG and Icecast and since I'm a
> stupid person I need to draw things all the time ;) - so I need you to tell me
> if I've misunderstood anything in this scheme:
>
>             +---------------------+
>             : libshout MP3/OGG    :
>             :                     :
>         +----------+          +------------+
>         : icecast  : <------- : iceS - MP3 :
>     <-- : MP3/OGG  :          +------------+
>         +----------+              :
>             :                 +-------------+
>         +----------+          : iceS2 - OGG :
>         : icecast2 : <------- +-------------+
>     <-- : MP3/OGG  :              :
>         +----------+              :
>             :                     :
>             +---------------------+

I'm too lazy to redraw your diagram, but it is missing a couple of
elements:

ices (ices0 henceforth) reads MP3 or Ogg and emits MP3. Using libshout
2 it can send MP3 to icecast 2, icecast 1, or shoutcast-compatible
servers.*

ices2 can read PCM as well as Ogg, so you could conceivably run your
MP3s through a decoder and pipe the result to ices2. This is not
recommended since quality will generally suffer, but I'd guess that
given a high enough MP3 bitrate and low enough Ogg, the transcoding
artifacts shouldn't be all that bad.

*You do need a snapshot rather than a release to do all this,
but I'd recommend that anyway since the snapshot is actually a lot
more robust than the release. For instance you shouldn't need any VBR
patch. I realise that the state of the releases is confusing.
I expect libshout 2 to be released very soon (it is now at beta
2), and ices 0.3 will be released immediately afterwards.

-b