[icecast] Icecast2 log and yp behaviour

David Jones David.Jones at ginger.com
Tue Jul 1 18:33:09 UTC 2003

Some of you may have seen my post to the vorbis list regarding the new
Virgin Radio streams using Ogg Vorbis, ices2 and icecast2.

Anyway, I have a couple of techy enquiries about the icecast2 server.

Firstly, I want to rotate the icecast2 logs at midnight (i.e. create a new
access.log file for each day). Normally I would expect to be able to move
the existing log file and then send a killall -HUP to get the service to
start logging in a fresh access.log file. This is what I do with Shoutcast.

However, killall -HUP doesn't appear to be working for me, so I have had to
resort to the following:

DATE=`/bin/date +%Y%m%d --date=yesterday`
/bin/mv /usr/local/icecast2/logs/access.log
/usr/local/icecast2/logs/access_$DATE.log
/usr/bin/killall -KILL icecast
/usr/local/bin/icecast -c /usr/local/icecast2/conf/icecast.xml &

ideal!) Has anyone managed to do this a better way?

Secondly, and I've already mentioned this in my post to the vorbis list (so
apologies for the double posting). Has anyone got ices2 and icecast2 to post
information to a yp server. I can't get it to work and
http://www.oddsock.org/icecast2yp/test/FAQ suggests that it shouldn't at
least at the moment. Anyone know for certain?

Thanks

David

David Jones
Head of IT, Virgin Radio