[icecast] mount points & multiples streams II

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Thu Jan 30 07:48:30 UTC 2003

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 ronnie at mixsessions.com wrote:

> I am trying to run multiple streams so what I have created additional
> directories such as mrock24, mRock64, and mRock128 in the '/etc/ices'
> directory . In these directories I have placed new conf files and
> playlist files respectively streaming 24, 64, and 128. These directories
> are also the name of the mount points for the streams.

AFAIK, this will work.  However, if all you want to do is have the same
content at different bitrates, you can achieve this with one instance of
ices and one playlist.  Not sure of the specifics though as I don't use
ices 0.2.3.  I can look though.

> When I enter 'protcol:ip:port/MountPoint' into the browser it attempts to
> download the stream as a file ('/MountPoint.mp3') instead of launching
> the default player. However if I enter 'protcol:ip:port/MountPoint' into
> a player such as winamp,xmms, or wmp it will play the stream. I am
> stumped but I guess I have done something incorrectly.

Yes.  You need the browser to download a file containing the IP address so
it can pass it off to the appropriate application to play the stream.  so
make a .m3u file with http://ip:port/mountpoint in it and link to it off
your website.  The browser will download this file and hand it off to your
player which will open it and stream the URL.

Geoff.