[icecast] relay servers and mountpoints

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Wed Jan 22 11:17:41 UTC 2003

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Adon Irani wrote:

> > > i've g0t this working ,, but only w/ .ogg . does ices not support .mp3 for
> > > the playlist ?
> > > _ i even made a separate .xml for when .mp3 archives come up , and i've
> > > tried /64kbpsR AND /64kbpsR.mp3 as mountpoints . ,
> > >
> > > all my archives from before December are mp3 ! gh .,
> > >
> > >  a:/,
> > >

> > ices2 does not (and will not) support mp3. ices 0.x does, and if you get the
> > current cvs version it'll work with icecast2.
>
> does ices 0.x support .ogg ?  or would i have to run both versions ?( in
> which case, i could simply rename the ices2 binary,right ?)

I think a bit of clarification may be helpful.  Ices 0.x can read both MP3
and Ogg Vorbis, but only outputs MP3.  Ices 2.x only reads and outputs Ogg
vorbis.  Once I asked Mike about MP3 input and he said he'd be happy to
accept a patch as it would be good to have, but that he personally wasn't
interested in implementing it.  don't know if this position has changed.

o the short answer is, if you always want to serve an ogg stream, there's
no real conveniente way of using MP3's as input.  There are hacks, of
course, but nothing as simple as just running ices, any version.

Geoff.