[icecast] Public Server?

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Thu Jan 16 23:09:22 UTC 2003

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 astralflight6 at netscape.net wrote:

> Hmmm.. perhaps:
>
> 1.  My inquiries aren't making it to the list.

Looks like that was the case - this is the first time I've seen this
message.

> You can run shout or iceplay on the same box or another box to stream
> pre-encoded content to the icecast server.

This must be an old document.  Both programs have been discontinued for
some time.  Ices is the recommended streamer for pre-encoded content, and
has been for a couple of years.

> Now I've never set up a server so it's quite possible that I'll need to
> consult another resource.  It just seems that I'm overlooking something
> simple here.  I have what appears to be a working Icecast server, which
> indicates it's receiving my encoder audio.  I *have not* configured any
> other server software (such as Apache) on my machine.  Is there something
> I need to do to make the Icecast server receive requests from other
> addresses?

To clarify.  Are you saying that you can listen on the machine running the
server but not from anywhere else?

> On a related note, in the FAQ document above, it says that once the
> encoder connects, the server will be listed at yp.icecast.org.  I'm only
> showing 6 channels when I go to that site and I have to assume that there
> are a lot more available audio streams.  Do this streams need to be in
> some way registered?  Can a regular ol' IP address work?

I understand that there are some issues with the yp.icecast.org server.
Ordinarily, all you'd have to do is specify that the stream is public and
that yp.icecast.org be a directory server and it would get listed.

Geoff.