[icecast] icecast 1.3 or 2 ???

gtgbr at gmx.net gtgbr at gmx.net
Sun Jan 12 21:34:55 UTC 2003

Adon Irani wrote:
> > Nope. Icecast2 doesn't care about what the format of the files it serves is
> > for fileserving.
>
> (i meant :: .MP3 is handled for fileserving , but .MP3 is not avail for
> live reencoding, as far as i know .. ) for the record , the OGG streaming
> w/ icecast2 has been great .

I don't understand that - Icecast2 doesn't do any re-encoding. That's
the source client's job. Winamp/XMMS with the current Oddcast DSP can
stream MP3 to Icecast2, for example ... ices2 might not do that just
yet, and I know nothing about other source clients. However, as I said,
that's their "problem", not Icecast2's.

> tho (seperate issue ) : OGG files w/ variable bit rates generated by wget
> rip from the icecast2 stream . they stream well , but i can only listen
> from the beginning , even w/ the .OGG on my local drive _loaded in winamp
> - the length counter is way off , and i can't seek through the file . NOR
> can i edit in soundforge . . is this an OGG thing? a variable bitrate
> thing ? or the wget side-effect ? tx . .

I'm not aware of a stand-alone tool being able to do that, but the
current WA2 in_vorbis.dll has a feature to fix seeking in saved-to-disk
Vorbis streams. It's in Preferences/Plug-ins/Input/Nullsoft Vorbis
Decoder/Configure/Streaming. At the bottom of that page, you find a
button named "Fix saved files..." - that should help. If you don't have
that button, get the latest Winamp2 version, or if you don't want that:
http://www.blorp.com/~peter/zips/in_vorbis.exe (Peter's site is gone,
but that file still exists.)

> i remember w/ icecast1.x i could connect to a mp3 w/ a (non-existing )
> .pls file . but w/ icecast2 , i would have to use the .ogg direct link ..
> but this would then d0wnload first in the browser (opera, and MAYBE
> ie:can't_recall) instead of launching the media player .

With Icecast2, the URL of the playlist is <stream-url>.m3u - e.g.
http://yourhost.com:8000/yourstream.ogg.m3u