[icecast] icecast 1.3 or 2 ??? (plus YP stuff)

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Sat Jan 11 17:34:52 UTC 2003

The mp3 streaming is actually pretty good in icecast2, even the metadata
enhancements..I've done quite a bit of testing with it, and it's passed all
my tests..although my tests were not completely thorough, and additional
testing should be done on laggy networks and with large number of
users...it at least passes the "good network and small number of users
tests"...

however, your client support for icecast2 mp3 metadata streaming is a bit
limited at this time..I've added support in oddcast (you'll need the latest
oddcast at
http://www.oddsock.org/tools/dsp_oddcast/dsp_oddcast_01022003.exe) and
adding support for other mp3 source clients is pretty simple (if anyone
needs the info on how to do mp3 metadata in your source client, let me know
and I can provide whatever info you need)...

additionally, icecast2 yp is coming along....and if anyone is also
interested in doing some testing with that, feel free to download the
following win32 version of icecast2 with yp support
(http://www.oddsock.org/tools/icecast2/Icecast2_win32_2.0_alpha2_setup.exe)...currently
there is only one yp server (feel free to implement your own though) that
has been built, and it's just there for testing, but still fairly
functional....the win32 setup comes with an icecast.xml which sets the yp
directory to my test yp-cgi....for those not running win32 (yeah, I know,
most people :) ) you'll have to wait until the code gets committed to CVS,
but before that happens, testing needs to be done....If you want to write
your own YP server, I've started on a spec here :
http://www.oddsock.org/icecast2yp/spec.html....

and the YP front end (the thing that actually shows the listings) can be
viewed here : http://www.oddsock.org/icecast2yp/  That's where you'd look
to see your server listed....

please let me know if you have any questions/issues/whatever....

oddsock