[icecast] icecast 1.3 or 2 ???

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Sat Jan 11 16:09:39 UTC 2003

Hi:

Depends what you want.  If you plan to stream MP3 then icecast 1.x is tried
and tested, but is not undergoing any further development.  icecast2 will
stream ogg vorbis as well as MP3.  The MP3 stuff in icecast2 is new and the
metadata support is only available in CVS and I don't know how well that
side of things has been tested.  I can't speak for MP3 streaming with
icecast2, but Vorbis streaming is rock solid in my opinion.

You can get an October 10 alpha release from www.xiph.org/~msmith/ or you
can get the latest code from the xiph.org CVS repository (visit
http://www.xiph.org/cvs.html (module icecast).  documentation is almost
non-existant for icecast2 so if you hit any trouble, ask here.

Geoff.

--
Geoff Shang <gshang at uq.net.au>
ICQ number 43634701

Make sure your E-mail can be read by everyone!
http://www.betips.net/etc/evilmail.html