[icecast] A large streaming project

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Thu Feb 27 03:07:50 UTC 2003

> As a guess, how many IceCast streams could be supported on one Linux PC
> (say 1.5Ghz PC).

Icast at one point had about 456 stations or so.  We were able to do
this (all the music was preencoded) with 8 machines quite reliably.
Basically 4 machines sourced streams, and 4 machines served them.  Only
three machines were really needed, so failures were taken care of if
only one machine failed.

These were dual cpu p3-600s if I remember correctly.  I'm not sure if
only one set of four was dual or not.  I suspect the source machines
were duals and the icecast boxes were not.

8000 streams is quite a lot.  Not to mention the amount of music you
would need to make the content in 8000 streams more than trivial :)

Or do you just mean 8000 simultaneous listeners?  Because that is quite
a different problem.

jack.