[icecast] Couldn't Open Pipe to Program

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Sat Feb 22 00:27:59 UTC 2003

On Saturday 22 February 2003 04:06, Jack Moffitt wrote:
> > [2003-02-20 15:24:05] EROR playlist-script/playlist_script_get_filename
> > Couldn't open pipe to program "/usr/local/icecast2/ices-ad.pm"
> > Segmentation fault
> >
> > I'm running a perl script that apparently (rarely) kills ices for this
> > reason. The error occurs approximately once per day for no apparent
> > reason. For the rest of that period the script runs fine. In fact, after
> > some investigation, I can immediately restart ices with no problem.
> >
> > As I love stability I want to figure out what causes this error so that I
> > can leave ices up and running for an extended period without worry. So,
> > what exactly would cause this kind of error?
>
> WIthout knowing anything other than what you've told me, I'd say that
> ices is forgetting to close the pipe, and you are running out of file
> handles.  The segfault is indictative that the returned file handle
> (which will be an error code) is probably being used without being
> checked.  Though why it would print out an error message I have no idea.

It definately close the pipe appropriately. I'm not sure why it crashes - the
code path for that is fairly clean, and leads straight to normal shutdown
code, which worked fine last time I looked.

So I have no idea what the cause of the problem is here.

> Whoever works on this problem will probably want to know what version of
> ices you are using.

The error message was enough to let me figure that out.

Mike