[icecast] debian icecast package & client issues

M Edwards medwards at ualberta.ca
Wed Feb 12 19:17:53 UTC 2003

At this point I've installed icecast-server and icecast-client debian
packages. I've editted all the config files and everything starts up and
appears to be running properly.

Unfortunately I've had several problems with clients trying to connect to the
stream. Initially the clients would attempt to buffer the stream, but just as
it finished they would restart buffering. I figured this was a bandwidth issue
(although it still occurred over a direct ethernet connection) and reencoded
some test files at a 64 bitrate and tried those.

Here shout's lack of autodetection bit me in the ass. I forced the bitrate
down to 64 (shout -b 64) and tried again. Clients now connect but fail to even
start buffering the stream.

At this point, after much thought, it might be the system I'm running it on.
Is there a minimum system req to run icecast and shout?

What about updating, is there a debian package that ISN'T 1.3? Is my crappy
version the issue?

--thanks
Michael Edwards
http://www.walledcity.ca/