[icecast] Re: Compiling ices

Marc Remijn marc at dubhead.xs4all.nl
Mon Feb 3 20:33:49 UTC 2003

On Monday 03 February 2003 00:38, Karl Heyes wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-02-02 at 22:48, Marc Remijn wrote:
> > The only module I know about that is 'tainted' is the philips webcam
> > compression module pwcx, which I forced loaded with 'insmod -f'. But
> > unloading that didn't change the problem. Anyway the 'tainted' issue has
> > to do with no being in order with the GNU licence isn't it?
>
> No the best thing to do, is not load the module to start with, unloading
> the module may mean nothing as it's already had access to the kernel.
> You more or less on the right idea with what tainted is, although it's
> really a check for modules that don't have the typical open licenses
> like GPL and BSD. Only a reboot will be sufficient for clearing the
> tainted state.

I rebooted the system without loading the pwc and pwcx modules. Still the same
problem on starting ices live.

But the kernel messages and the output of lsmod now say:
Tainted: P
instead of 'PF'.

So that would mean there are more tainted modules. By the way, what do the 'P'
and 'F' mean. Nothing is said about this in the lsmod manpage.
I might try rebooting the machine without any module loading.

> > >From this output it isn't clear to me which module is tainted.
>
> you've identified the module that is a potential cause.
>
> > Hmm. This machine has been working for years without any problem. I
> > installed more memory, but with this memory it has been running for
> > months now, also without problems. There are quite a number of fans in
> > the case.
>
> it's better to check, A good memory test is the memcheck program but
> also doing heavy compiling can stress the memory more. As for fans make
> sure you have good air flow through the case, especially with more
> recent CPU's.

Well I downloaded and burned the bootable memtest86 cd. Started the system. I
left it running the (standard) test for more than 3 hours (4 passes): no
errors. So the memory seems to be OK.

I don' t know if it is useful but I included a dmesg after the last boot
(again with the pwc and pwcx modules loading). This is the Slackware 8.1
distibution adaptec scsi kernel.

Marc