[icecast] Icecast2 Ogg Clients

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Tue Dec 9 00:50:58 UTC 2003

> They should. A large number of them are horribly broken (I don't know about
> audion, but in the case of both xmms and winamp, the plugin API is designed
> such that the _plugin_ has to do the HTTP streaming itself - and the plugin
> has to decide whether to handle the play request _before_ it actually starts
> the request. I believe this was fixed in winamp3, but winamp3 had many other
> even more serious bugs that made streaming not work reliably at all.

It's even more broken than this.

In both XMMS and Winamp, the mp3 plugin will grab EVERYTHING except urls
that end in '.ogg'.  You can easily grep and find this code in the XMMS
plugin if you're curious.  So anything that doens't end in .ogg won't
even be looked at, itwill be shipped off to the mp3 plugin which will
keep rebuffering trying to find valid data.  But all this happens in
such a way that the user can never know what is really going on.

To my knowledge, only RealNetwork's code does this the right way.

jack.