[icecast] Icecast2 Ogg Clients

Stan Seibert volsung at xiph.org
Mon Dec 8 16:59:56 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 10:00, Nicholas Humfrey wrote:
> ogg123 played the stream without any problems, but other clients
> (xmms, Audion) just kept rebuffering and failed to detect that it as
> an Ogg encoded stream.
>
> Surely the client should use the MIME type provided by the server
> rather than rely on the suffix in a URL ?

Just FYI: ogg123 actually uses the maximally paranoid scheme of using
looking at the first couple dozen bytes of the stream to determine the
file type, ignoring both the file extension and the MIME type, just in
case the web server isn't sending correct or helpful content types.

I do agree with you that players should not rely upon file extensions
for format detection.  (Note: This is not to say that file launchers,
like Explorer, shouldn't rely on file extensions.  I make no comment on
that long-standing flamefest here.)

---
Stan Seibert