[icecast] [Fwd: Icecast2 and ices]

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Tue Aug 26 13:32:51 UTC 2003

On Tue, 25 Aug 2003, Drew Bertola wrote:

> OK.  I've gotten everything running with one problem.  I'd like to
> downsample a live stream.  It's talk, and I'd like to squeeze 200
> connections into a 5Mbps pipe.  I'm currently able to do a 24K mono
> stream, but 11K would do the trick.  I've seen references to
> <downsample>, but can't find any hard documentation on it (other than a
> couple sample configs and a statement about how it might not work with
> live streams).  Any tips?

The sample configs really eed work.  Having said that, the ices-live.xml
should show you how to do this.  You could of course get the hardware to
capture at 11khz, assuming it can (most can). But if not, try something
like this:

                        <encode>
                                <quality>-1</quality>
                                <samplerate>22050</samplerate>
                                <channels>1</channels>
                        </encode>

            <!-- stereo->mono downmixing, enabled by setting this to 1 -->
            <downmix>1</downmix>

            <resample>
                <in-rate>44100</in-rate>
                <out-rate>22050</out-rate>
            </resample>

That's taken from a config I use, so obviously change it for your needs.
Actually, 22khz at quality -1 will probably fit your bandwidth
requirements, but if you want to go with 11khz, I'd suggest using a higher
quality value than -1.  Experiment and see what you end up with.

Geoff.