[icecast] Icecast2 and TiVo

Adam D. Ligas adam at physco.com
Thu Aug 21 18:12:04 UTC 2003

> If that is the only reason, you may want to verify that burn in may occur.  I
> think that may have only applied to monochrome
> monitors, and maybe early cga.  I seem to remember that screen savers were
> just eye candy.

In this particular case, burn-in will most certainly occur.  TiVo is connected
to televisions, and big screen TVs are very susceptible to burn in because of
how hard the CRTs are driven to produce a large picture.  There are tons of
horror stories on the 'net about it from people who left them on news channels
for days after 9/11, or watched 4:3 material unstretched on a 16:9 screen for
long periods of time.

On PCs though, you are correct, burn in is pretty much eliminated these days.
I have seen it still happen on modern screens, but you've really got to work
at it :).

> OTOH, I don't like weirdness like you found.  If there is a bug, it is
> posible that it is more than just causinig your tivo icon to
> flash, so I am all for rooting it out.

I agree.  I would really like to root this out as well, but I have no idea
where to start.  There isn't much documentation around, and I couldn't find
anything in the icecast.xml configuration file that seemed to fit.  As soon as
we come up with some things to try, I'll have at them.

- Adam