[icecast] streaming silence to Winamp

James Ponder james at squish.net
Mon Aug 4 19:56:54 UTC 2003

Hi,

I have just integrated libshout2 and libvorbisenc into mserv, my music
server (www.mserv.org).

It all works well.  Thanks for a great product.

The problem I have is that when there is a pause between songs of around 10
seconds, Winamp (2.91) decides (due to the 64kbps dropping to a 2kbps stream
I guess), that it needs to re-buffer.  It fails miserably and generally
dumps the connection, or at the very least a 10 second pause turns in to a
20 second pause (10 seconds re-buffering and then the 10 second pause I
wanted in the first place).

I'm not sure where the problem lies exactly, but I suspect it's just
Winamp's poor re-buffer algorithm.

This sounds like a problem that may have been solved before - how do I
ensure that for long periods (minutes) that both Icecast and Winamp are
happy?

--
James Ponder; www.squish.net