[icecast] icecasat pb.

Morgan Grammer morgang at newlifemedia.org
Thu Apr 24 16:26:39 UTC 2003

I ran into the same trouble with the tarballs on the website and
elsewhere in my config on RedHat 8.0. Make sure you are using up2date or
go and fetch all the updates from RedHat's site BEFORE trying to
compile. An out-of-the-box RedHat 8.0 config doesn't work. Also, you
will need to uninstall RedHat's Vorbis and Ogg RPMs, as they seem to be
broken, from my experience. You can use

RPM -qa > rpms.txt

to get a list of installed RPMS on your system.

cd to /usr/local/src and run CVS to download the latest versions. You'll
need to compile them and run the installer. From that point, go and
configure the .xml files, and you should be up and flying. I also used
the separate mount points in my config so that port 8000 is bound to the
loopback address, and port 8001 is bound to the outside eth0 address. It
will work with only port 8000, but I had some segfault issues, and this
seemed to help a little.

I'm working on putting together a "HOWTO" document, as I never found
anything on Google or Dogpile specifically related to RedHat 8.0, and
ended up piecing together stuff from icecast.org and several other FAQs
to get things up and running.

Another helpful utility is rexima-1.2. It's a command-line mixer control
utility for your sound card. It does also have an interactive text-based
mode that is handy if you aren't at the console running X or need to
make a change on the fly from home.

Post back if you need more help. I'm getting ready to deploy the stream
on our Chicagoland station next week to see how it goes. We max out our
RealAudio servers on a regular basis, and I have a nice pipe for this
box to connect to.

- Morgan Grammer
Director of Engineering and Technology
IBI Radio Ministries / New Life Media