[icecast] capturing sound from /dev/dsp

Mitchell Smith mjs at blitztechnology.net
Wed Apr 16 05:38:11 UTC 2003

Hi list,

I am wondering if there is any way that I can have an application listen to
what is being sent to /dev/dsp, say ogg123 or something, and encode that and
send it off to an icecast server.

Hmmm, I probalby didn't explain that overly well.  OK, I can use darkice to
capture what is sent to line-in and send that off to an icecast server, but
in this instance, I want to capture what is currently playing on the Linux
box either via ogg123, mpg321, or what ever, and then re-encode that and
send it off to an icecast server.

Is this possible???

Any hints greatly appreciated as always.