[icecast] ICECAST ADMINistration

Mickael Floc'hlay flochlay at enseirb.fr
Wed Apr 9 14:07:26 UTC 2003

Hi everyone !

We are a group of 8 students working (as a scolar work) on ICECAST and
we have thought that it would be a good thing to provide an
administration web interface implemented via SSL and are actually
working on it.

We have thought of several things this interface could do :
- reconfigure parts of the XML config file (depending on what are the
rights that the logged administrator has)
- viewing various stats on icecast (in order to know the number of
connected people, the most popular audio source, get information about
the bandwidth, etc...)
One of the main purpose of that interface would to make it easy to use
for a non technical skilled user.

Now, we'd like to know what you are thinking of that and, above all, if
you have any ideas about how this interface could be implemented and
what could be done by it.

For example, we have thought that it would be good to determine a number
of different kind of administrators in order to decide easily what an
administrator of one kind could reconfigure in the XML file.
Consequently, UNIX like permission characters could be affected to each
XML tag making easy to check if an administrator has the right to modify
it. We hope that you now see what we are expecting you to do.

Your help will surely be very useful.

Thanks to all,

The ENSEIRB 8-students group
(Mickael, Antoine, Arnaud, Jeremy, Florian, Sebastien, Guillaume and
Denis)