[icecast] cannot get icecast and ices to talk...authenticationfailed

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Wed Apr 9 07:11:08 UTC 2003

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, Eric L. Brown wrote:

> WARN playlist-builtin/playlist_read Corrupt or missing data in file
>
> When I try to play a basic playlist with 2 files (that are fine, and do
> exist).

You're not trying to play MP3 files, by any chance?  Ices2 only plays ogg
and raw PCM at this time.

> I have set the sample and nominal bitrates at 256000, which is
> also the encoding for the song...
>
> Does the bitrate of the song have to be exactly the same as in the
> ices.xml?  This might present a little problem with playing songs recorded
> at different bitrates, as well as variable bitrates...so I'm gurssing this
> cannot be?

If you just want ices to send out your files as they are, regardless of
bitrate, you can do that.  Just don't specify any of the re-encoding
options (see the second example in the sample playlist config).  Sending
them out as is works fine because vorbis is designed to allow for chained
streams with different bitrates and samples/channels.  If you do want the
stream to be at a set bitrate, that's fine.  As far as I understand it, all
files will be re-encoded, and therefore it again won't matter if the files
are of varying rates since they will be decoded and re-encoded before being
sent out to icecast.

Geoff.