[icecast] compile error

David Correa tech at linux-tech.com
Wed Apr 2 15:47:30 UTC 2003

Hiya Boink,

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 10:08:54AM +0200, boink wrote:
> No, it is not a FreeBSD ports problem. It's your own problem.

heh, i have better things to worry about.

> there are over 8000 ported applications in the FreeBSD ports system. the
> concept of the ports is simply to install software, like icecast2, onto
> a FreeBSD with the needed patches for FreeBSD as quickly as possible.
>
> No software from the ports is ever changed in the way you just
> mentioned. that's totally against the point of the ports.

Your views are well respected by me.

Looking in retrospect, yes it was my error, since
i was using http://quasi.ksl.com/icecast/ to try
to configure icecast2.

It seems to me now that the problem was shout
not being designed to work with icecast2. Because
if the passwd string was the same (in the icecast2 and shout conf)
i think it would have not matter if it was encrypted or not.

Thanks to Mike i now know that "shout isn't intended for icecast2 (and
doesn't work correctly even with 1.x, anyway)." I did not see that
on the how-to (maybe im blind).

Thanks for your kind words of wisdom.

Best Regards,
David Correa
Network Engineer
Key fingerprint 7F2C E072 479D 71B4 008B 373E A284 8CDE 7659 F5D8