[icecast] ices - cpu cycles - re encodig

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Wed Oct 30 03:19:53 UTC 2002

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Richard wrote:

> I'm doing a top on my server (ices2 and icecast2 from CVS) and ices is
> using 14% of my cpu cycles - bastard!  One channel is doing reencoing
> and when I just play an ogg without reencoding. The ogg file was
> encoded at 64kbs 44khz

Don't know if it helps, but you're not using the same format as I am  for
our re-encodes.

> <!-- Dial up connections stream  -->
>                 <instance>
{snip}
>                 <encode>
>                        <nominal-bitrate>16000</nominal-bitrate>

hmmmm.  I've not used this tag.  You'd either have to use a managed mode or
select quality by bitrate.

>                        <channels>1</channels>
>                 </encode>
>                 </instance>

you don't seem to have the resample and downmix steps.  I'm not sure that
what you've got there would even work (I don't know).  But using code based
on the examples, here's how I'd do what I *think* you want to do:

                <instance>
                        <hostname>host.domain</hostname>
                        <port>8000</port>
                        <password>P455W0rd</password>