[icecast] Transcoding Ogg streams?

Karl Heyes karl at pts.tele2.co.uk
Fri Nov 29 16:39:50 UTC 2002

On 2002.11.29 16:21 Leo Currie wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm confused about one of the statements on
> http://www.vorbis.com/faq.psp#unique
> My question is this:
> From the link above, it says:
> "Vorbis has bitrate scaling - a feature that lets you adjust the bitrate
> of a Vorbis file or stream without reencoding"
> Does this mean that Ices is _not_ re-encoding the vorbis stream, but
> actually just magically adjusting it's bitrate?

No, ices is reencoding.  Bitrate peeling needs more work on it to get it
right.  The theory is that your current files (post some rc release) will
be capable of being peeled.

> Or is it just doing ogg->pcm->ogg like I thought it would?

yep.

> If that is the case, is there a less-processor intensive way of
> 'transcoding' and ogg stream? Ices seems to use a lot of processor doing
> what I have above.

bitrate peeling should help a great deal but until it's sorted then
decode-encode has to be done, which as you have mentioned is fairly
processor intensive.

karl.