[icecast] directory servers

Scott Prive scottprive at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 21 23:29:54 UTC 2002

> www.icecast.org contains information regarding the icecast
> 1.x releases.
> Development on that series has stopped in favor of Icecast2
> and Ices2, for

Are you serious???

The development state of "Icecast 1" vs. Icecast2 has *nothing* to do with
the
web site. Not from a user perspective anyways.

What's infuriating is you're not even ASKING for help.. you're justifying
NEGLECT. The *.icecast.org web family is ABANDONED.

LISTEN to your users; you won't hear a PEEP from the people who simply hit
"Back" on their webbrowser will you?

I'd have more sympathy for your position if you said you were in dire need
of
volunteers to impliment some improvements you have in mind, but that's not
what you're saying.

Here are some constructive suggestions:
1) Fix the directory server, or TAKE IT DOWN. My guess is there has been no
decision to take it down, and for whatevr reason, no one wants to FIX it. If
the directory server protocol has changed in Icecast2, then consider running
an Ices2 directory server. If the Icecast2 directory code is not yet ready..
then it's probably premature to declare Icecast1 dead isn't it?

2) Are there NO Icecast2 issues worthy of a FAQ?

3) Are there NO Icecast2 Development milestones & success which are
newsworthy?

4) How about links to other applications that have dependencies on Icecast?
You know.. "community" stuff.

5) If nothing happens for a very long time, just say so. Every few months a
web note of "Hello... we're still here..." will be informative, since it
indicates someone cares (and shows you still know tha password)

If I sound unfairly harsh, it's because of justifying the state of the
website
being due to the Icecast1 to Icecast2 transition.

Seriously... if you need help, put up a "Help Wanted" webpage with a list of
many small TODO items people could claim.

It's good to hear there is work on updated web pages. Looking forward to it.
:-)

Peace,

Scott