[icecast] WinAmp3 & Icecast2 compatibility?

Leo Currie leo.currie at strath.ac.uk
Mon Nov 18 17:57:40 UTC 2002

Jesper Johnson wrote:

>Hello folks
>
>I'm having trouble playing ogg streams with WinAmp3. I run Icecast2 &

Me too. I don't think Winamp3 has Ogg vorbis support. Probably best to
ask around on the Winamp forums..
(a quick google revealed this:
http://www.zeropaid.com/news/articles/auto/09252002e)

>Ices2
>(both compiled from CVS about two weeks ago) on a Linux box, the files
>being streamed were encoded with oggenc (from oggutils1.0, managed
>80kbitrate...) The problem is that WinAmp3 won't actually play the .ogg
>stream. When I give it the URL (http://myserver:8000/mount.ogg) it says
>"connecting" then "prebuffering done" and finally it'll display the
>mountpoint filename plus the correct bitrate info -- but no audio! WinAmp3
>plays the same ogg files fine from a local hard drive.

Weird. I've stuck with Winamp2 because it works! :)
I bet Oddsock knows whats wrong....

>Also, I tried Zinf for Windows, it can play the stream correctly -- but
>stops after each song, leaving lines like "DBUG source/source_main Client
>had recoverable error 11" accompanied by a "DBUG source/source_main Client
>had recoverable error 11" in the icecast error log.
>
>The only players I've managed to get to work perfectly with the stream were
>ogg123 and XMMS on Linux. But I need a player for Windows, so this is kinda
>bugging me. Does anyone have a clue how to get WinAmp3 to work --- or
>should it work out-of-the-box without the hassle I've got myself into?
>What've I missed? ;-)

Dunno.
I do know that Winamp 2 works perfectly (make sure you get at least the
standard or full versions - lite is missing the ogg input)
Also, check out http://www.freedomaudio.com for a java based player that
now works perfectly with chained ogg streams (thanks to Kendal!:) - it's
a pretty groovy skinnable applet thingy. (example:
http://www.fusionradio.org/freedomaudio/listen.html)