[icecast] Re [ogg]

Raymond rsteding at tecwise.com
Thu Nov 14 13:05:47 UTC 2002

Moritz Grimm wrote:

>Raymond wrote:
>

>>Does Apache stream ogg/vorbis format files?
>>For instance I use icecast to stream because of the quality and its
>>dependability in maintaining a connection druing playing.
>>Like with mp3 files and icecast I can have many many files available as
>>links that open nicely into a player like WinAmp or real or xmms.
>>If Apache streams ogg/vobis I'll certianly use it but I didn't think it
>>had that capability. When I click on an ogg/vorbis file link in an
>>Apache web directory the damn thing just tries to download. For
>>downloads I always use Apache but maybe they have come out with a
>>streaming ogg/vorbis Apache server.
>>

>Of course, because browsers don't play .ogg files. If you enter your
>Icecast2 streaming URL into a browser, it'd try to download it, too.
>Enter the URL in Winamp and it'll play/stream just fine.
>
>To prevent that, create an .m3u file - it's a simple text file,
>containing one line with the URL to the .ogg you want to stream on
>demand. The browser will download the .m3u, pass it to the associated
>player, e.g. Winamp, which will then stream the actual .ogg. This works
>identical to MP3s.

I use this method but it is not a stream from the icecast server. It is
a download like any other except it opens a player once the complete
file is downloaded.
The reason I don't use this method in other cases is the files are huge
and I prefer the client to listen to the file before canceling it.
The static directory in the icecast1 works great for my situation except
it doesn't stream .ogg - only mp3