[icecast] memory, processor, bandwidth

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Thu May 23 14:31:12 UTC 2002

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 04:14:32PM +0200, christophe.guerin at etud.univ-pau.fr wrote:

> If you want to broadcast to listeners, you'll need:
>
> * 90Mhz or faster server, running one of Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000, ME,
>   Mac OS X, Sparc Solaris 2.x, FreeBSD 3.x, FreeBSD 4.x, or Linux with
>   a libc6 kernel.

I don't know if icecast works under non-unix like systems, however
it doesn't consume much CPU resource it seems.

the big resource hog is the encoder, which you may or may not install on
the same machine than the icecast server.

> * 14kB of memory for every listener you want to broadcast to (i.e. 1,000
>   listeners means you need 14 Megabytes of RAM), plus whatever your
>   operating system needs for overhead, plus 1.5MB for the server's
>   base requirements.  Don't set the listener count higher than you need,
>   it just screws things up.

I seem to remember having read 32 kB for each icecast client, but maybe
I'm wrong

> * Enough bandwidth to run the server.  If you want to broadcast to 100
>   listeners at 24kbps, you'll need about 24kbps*100 = 2,400kbps = 2.4Mbps
>   of bandwidth.  That's about 2 T1 lines worth of bandwidth.  Trying to
>   push 100 128kbps listeners down your 768kbps cable modem isn't going
>   to work :)

Why would this one be different ?

hth.

Jerome Alet - Medicine School of Nice - France