[icecast] disappointed with group

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Thu May 23 10:48:14 UTC 2002

MR I wrote:
> must say I have found the help in this group very disapointing. Have

I don't understand why people keep complaining about this list. It's not
that anyone has the right to get personal assistance by the developers
(note: I am no developer). It's also better for all of us when the
developers don't have to waste their time on this list for minor/simple
things, imo. Fellow users usually answer when they got something to say.
Except for the occasional spam, this list has a very high s/n ratio,
which is what I like. Better silence than constant noise.

If I knew what else Icecast2's config file could take, I'd have
answered, and I'm sure others would have done so, too. Icecast2 isn't
even in alpha stage, yet. (Otherwise Jack would've finished an alpha
release for us meanwhile.) It does Ogg Vorbis streaming and supports the
most essential things that it has to support in order be working at all.
It is very likely that icecast.xml contains everything available
already. Those who use Icecast2 should keep that in mind and not treat
it as a complete software product. Icecast2's robustness and
functionality might make it almost look like production quality already,
but that doesn't make it any more "finished" than it is right now.

Besides, if Icecast2 WOULD get a new configurable feature, I am quite
sure the developers would add it to icecast.xml immediately - otherwise
people couldn't test it.