[icecast] Graceful Icecast Source Switching?

Roy Harvey roy at lamrim.com
Wed May 1 00:04:02 UTC 2002

All --

Anyone know what the "best practice" technique is for gracefully switching
sources?

Here's situation:

Server A is streaming recorded MP3 files to a bunch of listeners (ICES).
Server B is a live feed (via oddcast)

When I want to transition the Server A listeners to the Server B stream, I
do the following:

(1) Kill the ICES process on Server A
(2) Start a RELAY PULL on Server A to point it to Server B

Server A starts streaming the Server B feed properly, but all the existing
Server A listeners get kicked.  Everyone then needs to reconnect.

I've tried increasing the CLIENT_TIMEOUT but it doesn't seem to be the
fix.  (I've also changed the RELAY_RECONNECT_MAX from infinite (-1) to 3 so
that Server A doesn't keep grasping for the now-dead ICES stream and
accepts the new Server B feed).

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Roy