[icecast] gen-mpegurl.m3u source/making a clean weblink to broadcast

jaromil jaromil at dyne.org
Fri Mar 29 20:26:11 UTC 2002

On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 03:02:14PM -0500, satchel loftis wrote:
> > Here's the deal, I'm still not sure how to make a clean
> > link to my broadcast.  On the icecast.org site, it calls
> > a cgi-bin file called 'gen-mpegurl.m3u.'  This always
> > stars up my broadcast nicely.
> >
> > Is there anyway to get the source code to gen-mpegurl.m3u,
> > so I could do this from my website without needing to
> > use an offsite link.
>
> i don't have the answer to this, but i'd really love to.
>
> if i get enough info, i'd be willing to put together a FAQ on this aspect of
> getting icecast up and running ("the final piece of the puzzle"), since it
> doesn't seem to be documented.

to make a stream startup with a simple click you need to:

- be sure the mime-type "audio/x-mpegurl" exists for your webserver and
  points to the .m3u extension
- put the url of your stream (i.e. http://mysrv.org:8000/live) into a
  .m3u file, as a single line newline terminated
- link to that .m3u file into your html page with a normal <a href> tag

btw i think a FAQ about audio-streaming would be really needed, if you
are going to do it i'd help as i can.

--
jaromil  ][   http://dyne.org   ][  GnuPG _key__id_
EDEE F1B9 DC92 76C0 6D46  D77A 58B0 82D6 (5B6E 6D97)