[icecast] quality setting vs cpu utilisation

Nicu Pavel npavel at easeweb.com
Fri Mar 22 12:54:03 UTC 2002

I only have a 4% cpu utilisation decrease  when setting quality to 1
(0.1) against setting quality to 9.
Is this normal ?
Also I don't see any CPU % decrease when lowering bitrates (on managed
modes)
The only things that realy reduce the cpu usage is sample rate and
number of channels.

I am a little used with lame which with a quality setting of 9 (aka 0.1
in vorbis_enc) greatly reduce CPU usage.

P.S. How can Vorbis Stereo modes can be selectable by user ?
I readed in stereo.html (from docs) that this modes are user selectable
but I didn't see any api reference.

Thanks,
Nicu.