[icecast] Some questions and problems about setting up Icecast2

Philip White pwhite at mailhaven.com
Sun Jul 28 02:48:28 UTC 2002

        I've finally decided to take the plunge and set up an Icecast 2 server on my Linux 2.4.18 machine.  After asking in #vorbis, I was told that I need ice2 and ices.  From what I understand, ice2 is the Icecast2 server, while ices is a program that sends it data to push to its clients.  Am I right?
        After downloading both modules, the first problem I've ran into is executing the autogen.sh scripts on both of them.  Here's what happens when I run the script in ice2:

[pwhite at pwhite ice2]$ ./autogen.sh
I am going to run ./configure with no arguments - if you wish
to pass any to it, please specify them on the ./autogen.sh command line.
Generating configuration files for icecast, please wait....
  aclocal
aclocal: configure.in: 7: macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library
  libtoolize --automake
  automake --add-missing
configure.in:4: no proper implementation of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE was found,
configure.in:4: probably because aclocal.m4 is missing...
configure.in:4: You should run aclocal to create this file, then
configure.in:4: run automake again.
/usr/local/share/automake-1.6/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
/usr/local/share/automake-1.6/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
/usr/local/share/automake-1.6/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
/usr/local/share/automake-1.6/am/lang-compile.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
src/Makefile.am:5: required directory src/avl does not exist
src/Makefile.am:5: required directory src/thread does not exist
src/Makefile.am:5: required directory src/httpp does not exist
src/Makefile.am:5: required directory src/net does not exist
src/Makefile.am:5: required directory src/log does not exist
  autoconf
configure.in:4: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
configure.in:7: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
./configure: line 1143: syntax error near unexpected token `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(icecast,2.0)'
./configure: line 1143: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(icecast,2.0)'

        Here is the output of autogen.sh for ices:

[pwhite at pwhite ices]$ ./autogen.sh
I am going to run ./configure with no arguments - if you wish
to pass any to it, please specify them on the ./autogen.sh command line.
Generating configuration files for ices, please wait....
  aclocal
aclocal: configure.in: 58: macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library
  autoheader
  automake --add-missing
configure.in:31: no proper implementation of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE was found,
configure.in:31: probably because aclocal.m4 is missing...
configure.in:31: You should run aclocal to create this file, then
configure.in:31: run automake again.
configure.in:58: required file `./ltmain.sh' not found
/usr/local/share/automake-1.6/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
/usr/local/share/automake-1.6/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
/usr/local/share/automake-1.6/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
/usr/local/share/automake-1.6/am/lang-compile.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
/usr/local/share/automake-1.6/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
/usr/local/share/automake-1.6/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
/usr/local/share/automake-1.6/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
/usr/local/share/automake-1.6/am/lang-compile.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
  autoconf
configure.in:181: warning: AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS: you should use literals
configure.in:2: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_CONFIG_HEADER
configure.in:31: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
configure.in:57: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_MAINTAINER_MODE
configure.in:58: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
configure.in:182: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_CONDITIONAL
 running autogen.sh in libshout
./autogen.sh: cd: libshout: No such file or directory
I am going to run ./configure with no arguments - if you wish
to pass any to it, please specify them on the ./autogen.sh command line.
Generating configuration files for ices, please wait....
                [[[[[repeats infinitely!]]]]]

        Here is some more information:

autoconf 2.53
automake 1.6.2
aclocal 1.6.2
I don't know what other software versions you may be interested in, but it's a RedHat 7.3 distribution.

Furthermore, I want the Icecast 2 running on the server, but my friend will be doing the actual streaming from his Windows machine through Winamp, so I don't suppose I need any icecast client installed.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

--
Philip M. White
Houston, TX; U.S.A.