[icecast] how to cut very big mp3s ?

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Sun Jan 6 17:52:41 UTC 2002

> I've streamed two complete days of a congress
> using DarkIce and IceCast, but now I want to cut
> the mp3 files in parts, a part per speaker.
>
> I've actually got four mp3 files, one for each morning
> and afternoon, but each is several hundreds megabytes
> long (128 Kbits/s stereo)
>
> Is there any tool available which would allow me to cut
> these files without requiring huge amounts of memory or disk
> space ?

Unfortunately MP3 is not really an editable format (another reason to
use Vorbis).  Its frame headers and frame data don't necessarily come
together in the file, so chopping the file would require quite a lot of
reorganization.  The only decent methods I've seen proposed meant
turning the beginning and ends of files into VBR.

I think you're only solution is to convert to .wav do your editing, and
then recompress (for mostly voices you'd probably want to downsample
etc).

I'm sure you can find a decoder than will downsample and downmix when
going to wav so that you don't eat up your entire disk.

Out of curiosity, why are you recording congress?  Anything interesting?

jack.