[icecast] vorbis_encode_init() bitrate arguments - offtopic

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Wed Feb 20 12:59:09 UTC 2002

At 11:15 AM 2/20/02 +0100, you wrote:
>Michael,
>
>> See the examples. If you initialise a managed mode (which this is), you
>> MUST use vorbis_bitrate_addblock() and vorbis_bitrate_flushpacket().
>
>Thanks for the tip. I added the calls, and it works now.
>
>> You SHOULD also give an option to set min/max, since they're now used,
>> and to use a VBR mode rather than the managed modes here.
>
>But when streaming, IMHO it is _very_ essential to be able to specify a
>maximum bitrate. I guess I can't use VBR mode then, can I?

Useful, but in practice not essential. I did say "give an option ...".
Defaulting to VBR is a good idea - they're generally "close enough" to
constant for most users, and the quality is much better. For example,
the BBC's vorbis streams (which use ices2/icecast2) are all fully
VBR, and that works fine.

>Another offtopic question: what vorbis comments are 'supported' or
>'valid'? I see in the examples:
>
>vorbis_comment_add_tag(&vc,"ENCODER","encoder_example.c");
>
>but what other meta-info? Like artist, etc?

See vorbis/doc/v-comment.html (it's also available from somewhere
on www.xiph.org, but I forget exactly where).

Michael