[icecast] QuickTime Streaming Server 4 streams MP3s

Brian Dichter dbrian at enteract.com
Wed Feb 13 15:21:35 UTC 2002

on 2/13/02 9:11 AM, colin at cdearborn at home.com wrote:

> Brian Dichter wrote:
>
>> on 2/13/02 7:12 AM, Mark Lehrer at mark at knm.org wrote:
>>
>>> I'd be more interested in information on a native client that can play
>>> Quicktime(Sorenson) on Linux.  Does one exist?
>>>
>>> I don't think it's a good idea to support closed standards like
>>> QT, WMA, etc.
>>>
>>> Just my $.02 though,
>>> Mark
>>>

>> Actually, QTSS supports open source standards:
>> http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/qtss/
>>
>> brian
>>
> However, it is available only on Macintosh.  If you want to stream on
> linux, you can use the open source Darwin Streaming server from Apple
> (based on the same code as QTSS):
> http://www.publicsource.apple.com/projects/streaming/

True. I had it up and running beautifully on my OS X Server box. I'll have
to build it on the Linux box to see if it works as well. So far, though, the
web interface is far better than QTSS version 3...much easier to configure.
You can randomize the playlist and add weight to certain files...for example
if you have an announcement-about-your-station file, you can have that file
played more frequently by changing its weight. I'm planning to deploy a
radio station in a school district for middle-school students, so having a
graphical interface to do this is a useful thing. 8)

brian